View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 08:43 AM   #94
wq081103

Lightbulb Fuel Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Hi Folks,

Have a engine stalling problem which just can't seem to be resolved?

Problem is engine runs fine 'in the yard' with 'muffs' attached. I've run for more than 30 min. even up to 2500RPM without issues.

However,when I run boat in the water, it coughs, sputtters and stalls just about immediately, attempting to go more than wake-speed. Doesn't seem to run under a 'load', but appears to run fine idleing in the yard
'on the motor-muffs'.

I am using ethanol gas, which still has Sta-Bil and ValviTech treatment from
last season. I checked samples of gas, and all looks ok, doesn't look like any water in gas. Gas looks clear, no bubbles, or any type of foreign particles. The fuel/water separating filter has been changed-out twice. I changed spark plugs. Dealer has performed a coplete Carb rebuild. No difference in engine behavior? Dealer still thinks there's some water in the system. They have ruled out this being 'fuel pump related.

OK, if there still s some water in the gas it doesn't seem prevalent or obvious? I have 35 gal of gas in the tank now. If I have to drain it out and start with fresh, any siuggestions how I would go about doing this?
I'd have to have 7-8 five-gal cans, which is inpractical. Secondly, what am I suppose to do with this gas once drained? Dealer has not been very much help, and is not setup to handle this situation.

Would appreciate any suggestions about the gas question, or maybe comments about the engine behavior not being gas related.

At 'wits end' !!
I have run into similar problems with auto's. If you suspect water in the fuel ..try mixing 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (dry gas) wich can be purchased at any cvs... etc. The alcohol will mix with the water and allow it to be burned in the fuel system. You will more than likely want at least a quart+/- depending on the amount of water present and the quanity of fuel in the tank. Also check the ignition wires (if applicable)or coil packs. excessive resistance (ohms) or internal breaks can also cause this situation under a load. Silicone based sprays like "Wire Dryer" is a diag. tool to be used on the ign. System, if moisture is present on the components it will also create your trouble. I hope this will help you on your repair.

Last edited by wq081103; 09-06-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: misspell
wq081103 is offline   Reply With Quote