Thread: Major Bonehead
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #58
ApS

Default Powerboat Excluder Device, Beta Edition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
"...It [Powerboat Excluder Device, or P.E.D.] could be misidentified as use of a daytime VDS. Mirrors are commonly used as daytime VDS so your prototype could end up getting you in trouble with the law..." If it is thought by boaters to be a VDS it might also have the reverse effect of actually attracting boats to you!
It's no longer a prototype: I wear it (and use it) every sunny day on the water. As I mentioned earlier, with the recent advent of "running the plotter", I seem to have a sign on my sail that reads, "Free Beer".

When I did try to summon the MP on a routine matter/violation, it got ignored. (So I'm not too worried).

Aug 25th...Edited to add:
On a routine matter, I succeeded in summoning an MP last week with the signal-mirror/CD. It was a very pleasant younger officer in boat 67, IIRC. (Single outboard MP boat that seems to be in the area most often.) He caught my brief signal right away, and commented favorably on the device.

Sept 8th...Edited to add:
On a second routine matter, I succeeded in summoning an MP last week with the CD/signal-mirror. It was an officer in his 30's in boat MP9. (One of at least two inboards, MP7 being another.) Again, this officer caught my brief signal right away, and commented favorably on the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
"...Very clever and funny. Yep that should work very nicely..."
Aiming it takes some practice, but its effect is astonishing and gratifying. One PED should be in the possession of every Winnipesaukee sailor and sea-kayaker. The CD is subject to casual breakage and doesn't float, so I carry a spare PED in my PFD pocket. One is pop-riveted to each underside of pop-out inspection ports—just in case.

As to riding the bow or stern, here's a "regular" in my neighborhood, who shuttles kids between two families every weekend, if not every day.

(Boston Whaler with kids' legs dangling overboard at the bow...Fibers added by www.Snapfish.com. Horizon-alignment, sharpness and underexposure by APS...)
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 09-10-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Add MP-67 reference in red
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote