Thread: Major Bonehead
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #32
BeaverIslandGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Over the years I have learned to not even think about the rules......because around 20% of the boaters don't have a clue.I judge each approaching boat defensively and react accordingly.After receiving 1/2 of a peace sign from a few captains that don't know the rules,I just automatically give way to passing boats....it's not worth the aggravation.
SIM has it right. Having been boating here for 40 years, in the last 5 I have taken to a full defensive posture, assuming that any boat that I can see 360 degrees around me that is not heading away from me is a potential issue. I just assume they don't know the rules and give them at least 300 ft and asjust speed accordingly.

It is so bad I have have taken to wearing a (very comfortable) lifevest all the time, even before and after getting on/off the boat due to large wakes and people violating the 150 ft rule. I view it the same as having airbags. While I don't ever plan on using them, I have to protect my family. I can only control my own actions, not the captain boneheads of the world. If you see me wearing it (I do go to CH a lot), try not to laugh too hard.