Thread: New PWC owner
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #17
GusMan

Default PWC experiences

Great information here so far....

I was in the same situation 2 years ago.... bought a pair of used GTX 215's with *LOTS* of boating experience but almost no PWC experience. As mentioned earlier, jet drives are a whole new ball game for those that have only driven conventionally powered boats. Take your time getting to know how your PWC handles at *ANY* speed. Even slow maneuvering takes some time to get used to. Even at dead idle, my PWCs have fairly significant forward motion and use of the diversion valve (aka the "shifter" from forward to neutral to reverse) comes in very handy.

I've been having a blast (as has he) teaching my 13 year old son to *safely* drive the PWCs. The I feel the most important thing is to realize that you should not make *any* sudden course changes without completely assessing your surroundings. The urge to utilize the PWC's maneuverability is strong (Obi Won). I've taught my son to look around (especially behind you!!) and identify every boat, kayak, buoy, shoreline etc before doing anything drastic.

I still have 3 more years of drilling safety information into his brain before I can let him loose (after his boating safety course!).

One other non-safety related piece of advice... save lots of money for gas... If driven hard, they do like their petrol!

So the best advice I have .. be safe... and have fun.. and watch out for the other guy, because chances are he went out and bought brand new GTX 260's and couldn't be bothered to asked the very question you so wisely did.

Cheers...

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote