View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 04:31 AM   #13
ApS

Smile Things are looking up

But I'm wondering if my local chipmunk count -- which had been down since Easter -- isn't due to the fact that nearly all the local white pine trees have been "harvested" from as far as I can see. (No pine cones). Is this a possible link to the local, diminished, count?

The chipmunk "count" has improved since Easter, and there are three "regulars" -- particularly under the bird feeder. Now there are at least four, total, on my acre.

The New Hampshire Union Leader has its usual Saturday article about Nature, and the chipmunk (and a book written about chipmunks) is featured today.

Quote:
"...When I looked out over our in-ground pool in the back yard, I saw a chipmunk standing upright by the side of the pool looking into it. He was obviously sounding a distress call. Something had fallen into the pool and it appeared to be another chipmunk...."
Here, all have been trained to respond to a whistle and, once a heirarchy of "Alpha-Chipmunk" has become established (by much chasing around), one will approach close enough to feed by hand. When he has collected all he can, another will appear -- then another. (Then more chasing, and the whole sequence starts over again).

One has become quite an "underfoot" nuisance, and I have to watch where I put my feet. Another will pester me on the dock (until I'm out of bird seed).

Last year, it wasn't unusual to be visited on my boat and have my pockets inspected (by "Blinky").

It's fun having a pet that doesn't throw up on the rug.