View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 PM   #56
oche16

Wonderful presentation here. Im really enjoying this thread immensely and have learned so much about the western shore tracks. Definitely worth printing out -in color!

McDude,
I believe I found the location of this particular 100+ yr old postcard shot. Ive been past this particular spot a hundred times over the years and certain this spot on the map below is correct. Sorry, no photo from this location. But will snap one next Bike Week.

Also, I'd like to add, there is a 20' wide level terrace effect crossing the Greystone Inn's backyard as well as the adjacent properties and fairly close to the shoreline. It is where the adirondack chairs are located OR the second terrace above. Sadly, I dont recall finding any remnants ie, ties, rails, stone/gravel, posts etc, though I will look deeper in June. I

Would anyone know where on the property the whistlestop was located. I do have a postcard of the Greystone that shows a telegraph pole in the backyard. I'll need to take a hi-res scan, as it's an old, worn postcard. Boy, there had to be a LOT of blood, sweat and tears shed to place this rail line.

I wonder, Are the railroad's old railbeds still the property of the railroads, an easement or now claimed by the homesteaders?

Very enjoyable and well designed thread.
Attached Images

Last edited by oche16; 11-24-2010 at 09:11 AM.
oche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oche16 For This Useful Post: