Thread: Anchor donation
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #29
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post
Sort of related question.

I know most literature calls out for 7:1 or 5:1 ratio but I can't see that being realistic on the lake.
5:1, 7:1 or more is generally used for ocean ground tackle with tides, swells and wind gusts, and generally for (unwatched) overnight anchoring. "Lunch anchoring" is what most of us do on the lake and 3:1 is generally plenty with a good bottom surface. Weeds can interfere with a good set on most anchors so shallow sets can be problematic, unless on the sand bar, which is ideal.

Remember scope includes the water to anchor tie off height, not just the water depth. If you have a chain, which is recommended, your anchor set improves. The weight if the chain helps lock in the anchor and helps to make the pull on the anchor have a shallower angle. This is like additional scope. The anchor chain also acts like a shock absorber with wind gusts and waves. The heavy chain arc slowly rises and falls and this greatly reduces the shock that likes to dislodge an anchor set.

I have 20' of oversized chain for my 23' boat, attached to my aluminum fortress anchor. Works great.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post: