View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
I will agree, 104.9 is not that great, but WBLM, etc are all going for the same demographic.

There are probably close to a dozen stations that can be heard in the area, all playing essentially the same stuff - all going for the 40-somethings (and even possibly the late 30-somethings).

Being in my late 50s, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on the radio, music wise, that I can listen to. Yet, my demographic (50+) probably has the most disposable income of any demographic out there. The kids are gone, house paid for (probably), still working, still healthy and there are millions of us because we are the baby boomers. Thank goodness for IcebergRadio, Pandora and other Internet streaming sources.

But, it would be nice to have something local, with news, etc. that was appealing. The so-called "music of your life" format is very repetitive, uses an extremely limited playlist, and unfortunately, includes a lot of 70s and 80s drivel (gee, I should tell you how I really feel about this ).

Hey, while we're on the subject of radio (oops, watch out - soapbox time) - I've been around the lake for about 25 years or so - WHAT IS UP WITH WASR 1420? They have some of THE WORST audio I've ever heard!?! And, they always have - it has changed, but it's still bad. Highly over-processed, and someone over there likes playing around with his/her equalization. What's WITH that??!! (rhetorical question, I don't actually expect an answer).

They actually have some reasonable music programming at times (at least for my taste), but boy, do THEY SOUND TERRIBLE!!!

I should say here, that I worked in radio for many years, both in engineering (my primary job - chief engineer of various stations) as well as on the air, and am still quite involved in the design of radio transmitters and audio equipment. It was a whole lot of fun, didn't pay too badly (the engineers were reasonably compensated) and you met a lot of interesting people. Finally left "the business" some 20+ years ago, and got a "real" job at Digital in the then, central engineering group.

Anyway, it still amazes me how bad (audio wise) many of these stations really do sound, and it's all due to poor adjustment or just plain ignorance as to how annoying overprocessing is to people, until they finally turn the dial.

Oh well, better get off the soap box now

It'll be interesting to see if the new group does anything useful with their new acquisitions, or just puts out the same stuff that everyone else is already putting out there....
I guess it is all in what you like. I’m in my 50’s and really like listening to WBLM.
They just finished their annual A-Z countdown yesterday and although not every song they play is a hit for me I do like their variety, their library seems to be very well stocked. I like listening to music from my era all the way up to current hits. Funny thing is I never could stomach the Beatles or the Monkeys while many even younger then I am tend to like that type of music.
104.9 on the other hand is like a broken record, at almost every job site I’ve worked no one will listen to that station unless it is the only choice due to reception. I think that says it all right there.
From what I understand 102.9 has the biggest broadcast range of any station around this area. I only wish it made it a little further. I loose it about 1 hour south of my camp in Jackman Maine and have to change to 105.1 which is on the top of Sugarloaf Mtn., now that’s a hard rock station.
It has been a while but wasn’t 104.9 a better station with more variety and selection before it changed to the HAWK?
1420 isn't that that thing they call AM, what is that anyways?
Oh that what I get sometimes when I hit the wrong button by mistake