View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #45
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Oh threads like this are always a good read.....

I have had boats on trailers my entire life. I have used and been at many ramps, with stories that will curl your hair....

One of the issues with ramp etiquette when you look at paddlers getting in the way, is that most canoists, and Kayakers, aren't necessarily schooled in this arena. Thus they don't understand backing up a boat on a trailer, nor do they understand that the ramp is the only way you're getting in.

I watched several conversations this summer at the Center Harbor ramp. The story was always that same... Newcomers, not familiar with the area, and the only place they saw to launch was the ramp. Now some were very polite, and other where not when the ramp attendant spoke to them. That just the problem when you deal with the public.

I always take the educational approach, I never simply state to get out of my way.... I generally tell them that there is another area, that they should be using and point it out.

As for other boaters, when someone is taking their time, I have found that going over and simply asking them if they need help seems to speed things up. Either they really need help, (more then once I have backed someone else's boat down the ramp), or they are ignorant about the fact that someone is waiting, and as soon as it is pointed out to them the get a move on.....

Now when all this fails, and I do get pissed, I just get back in my car, and start to think of all the hypothetical things I could do to ruin their day.... my favorites are:

- finding them anchored, and scubaing over and cutting the line
- finding their boat at a public dock, and tripping with a drink in my hand that spills in their boat
- letting the air out of their trailer tires....

anyways enough of that, revenge is easy to think off.... The bottom line is life is to short to worry about this stuff.... sometimes ramps are just busy, and some people are just inconsiderate.... if the world was perfect, we couldn't have fun dream about getting even, nor would we have something to complain about, and start these threads.