View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #35
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
It's been a long time since I trailered--probably since forklifts started appearing, but I'm still amused by the folks who use the ramps. There have been several worthwhile posts about safely and quickly launching, but not much about retrieving.

When you launch, an unskilled person can hold a line and stand on the dock while the other backs down the ramp. Easy enough.

But when retrieving, to do it quickly, I think, really takes two skilled people. Often, the boat cannot be docked close to the ramp when there are several waiting to get out. So the one skilled boat driver, ends up also being the one who can back up the trailer. S/he ties the boat up someplace and walks to get the car. Parks it on the ramp and then walks someplace to get the boat. When s/he brings the boat around, there's another boat waiting, the winch cable isn't ready, the wind prevents getting the boat lined up, etc., etc. You've all seen it.

It looks like, to be quick, you need a skilled helmsman and a skilled tow driver. Anybody got good protocol for a crowded retrieval period when there is only one skilled operator?
It does help to have someone pilot the boat on to the trailer. We have it down to 30 sec in, 1 min out every time with 2 of us. My wife just idles where she can see the ramp and drives on when I back in. If you have to retreive by your self and can't dock next to the ramp, just hustle and people will be thankful. It's tough if you can not climb over the bow on to the tongue though. It's the people who are completely clueless and stand around wondering what to do that get frustrating.

I saw several people up to their necks in water this year launching One woman actually swam the boat over to the dock at Sheps after getting it of the trailer.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote