View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #27
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Bad Ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Really glad to say I have never done any of those things. I read Chapman's before I ever went to the ramp for the first time and was already quite capable of backing a trailer from other experience. I have been a trailer boater for 19 years now and have made several hundred trips down and up ramps all over the north east. The scariest was one in Saugerties, NY that had a 17 foot drop off at the end. You don't want to drop the wheels of that one...
I dropped the trailer off the end of a ramp in the Danvers River. I didn't know the precast stopped and suddenly the trailer was sitting on the frame. It is really hard to get it back up! In my first attempt someone with a 4X4 attached a 5/8 braided line to the front of my vehicle and the line broke before my vehicle moved. Long ugly story. (Lake reference: Never saw a ramp this tough on Winnipesaukee)

One time my vehicle sat spinning the wheels and not moving up. I got back in the boat, dropped the drive 1/2 way, and pushed the vehicle and trailer half way up the ramp to drier ground while someone else was behind the wheel of the towing vehicle spinning the tires. (Lake reference: It was nice to get back to Winnipesaukee and easier ramps)

Last edited by TiltonBB; 10-04-2014 at 06:55 AM.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote