View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #11
MikeF-NH

take the lake in exploration "chunks". Decide on an area you want to explore then check the Bizer map to make yourself aware of any hazards in the area before you hit the water. I really like my navionics chip on my Lowrance but I believe you can now get navionics on your smartphone. Its nice if you need to get your bearings on where you are.

The Alton Bay Fish and Game ramp is free but has limited parking and fills quickly but is easy to use. It is a long ride to the main part of the lake and you need to be aware of no wake zones down there. West Alton Marina is never very busy for me but is a little smaller if you are uncomfortable backing around...$25 launch fee. I never launch at any other west side ramps other than Shep Browns which is an easy launch facility - $20 launch fee. Check your bizer when leaving the area b/t Pine and Bear Islands...no wake and hazards in there. Center Harbor town docks are $20...park by tennis courts toward Center Harbor Inn. Lees Mills is free but thats a tough part of the lake to start learning in. 19 Mile Bay is free but is a LLLOONNGGG walk (about a mile) from the ramp to the parking area. Winter Harbor is free but backing the trailer on a busy road can be nerve racking. Wolfboro town docks ramp is free but very busy to back in and you have to park a bit away from there (not a bad walk). Roberts Cove Marina is $20 I think but a tight backing around area for the uninitiated.

I can't speak for any of the ramps in Gilford or Merideth because I don't use them. The area from Merideth to Weirs and out can be very busy and not very relaxing on a weekend and getting out of that area involves navigating around "The Witches" which (until you recognize where they are) can be a mistake you only get to make once.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote