View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #41
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squam Friend View Post
That single quote by "BearIslander" in siksukr's post above prompted me to join this forum, I was so appalled by the sheer audacity. "That is how the law works," as if whenever someone does something you don't like, you can get a law passed to stop them. Who do you think you are, BearIslander? I see that you must have edited the original post, but not before your true egotism and condescending attitude showed its face. You make it sound like you had a restraining order passed by claiming "I am having restrictions placed on you." I have to ask again, who do you think you are?

Having been a lifetime boater and resident on Squam Lake I would like to see a single piece of evidence that a speed limit "worked" to "solve a problem," and the same goes for the proposed limit on Winnipesaukee. The only actual non-anecdotal data I have seen does not support the need for a limit on speed. I sincerely hope Governor Lynch hears both sides of this issue and makes a reasonable decision, based on facts, on whether to sign this bill into law. That being said, I am not categorically against speed limits on lakes, but I am against legislation that is based on anecdotes, and not a real demonstrated need for a law to make a social change.
Well... I'm glad you joined the forum.

My post was a joke, and SIKSUKR only posted part of it. When I realized some people would not understand my particular brand of humor, I deleted the entire thing.

I did not write or sponsor HB847 and can take no credit for it. I have no authority to place restrictions on Airwaves or anyone else.

I'm sorry you got so worked up over the incomplete copy of a misunderstood joke. I will be more careful in the future. My apologies.

I can assure you that the speed limit on Sunset Lake was a god send that solved a very real problem. The underprivileged children from Nashua that attended the camp compliments of the United Fund were unable to go out in boats at all when there was water-skiing on our small lake. And that happened almost every afternoon and some mornings. The speed limit on that lake changed things dramatically and instantly.

That kind of success does not translate well to a large lake like Winnipesaukee. However the problems of the camps lakes are very real, and will be helped by HB847 in my opinion. The New Hampshire Camp Directors Association supports HB847.