View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #67
Lakegeezer

Default the dark days of winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I don't even mind it getting dark at 5pm. Get the fire going and kick back after a nice hot dinner. ....... I miss the four distinct seasons of New England. NC (where I am) has blistering hot summer followed by a few weeks of nice weather and then a short winter of cold rain while hoping for no ice storms.
Getting dark at 5PM! Won't that be nice!! On the shortest day, the sun sets at 4:11PM after rising at 7:16AM. It isn't till around February 3'rd that the sun rises before 7 and sets after 5. Perhaps that is part of the reason why everyone seems happy during fishing derby weekend.

You might be surprised at the nature of winter here. It is not unusual to have cold rainy days and ice storms in early winter, although by February the snow depth is usually pretty good. New England weather is fickle.

This week has been a cold one - and the wood stove has been very hungry. The local snowmobile trails are not yet officially open, yaktracks are still useful while walking up the driveway and the ice is just barely safe to walk on. Having indoor hobbies is a good thing this time of year. Now where is my flask? :-)