View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,062 Posts
Default I think I may somewhat disagree with you here on one point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
People who get drunk and become irresponsible do so no matter what they are driving.
You cannot tell me a person is just going to go out and tie one on out on the lake then be a perfect angle when on land. Fist of all how do they get home from their boat?
Yes some will argue they could be staying at the marina but most are not.
I believe it is time for a change and all these infractions should be tied together and follow the person to whatever state they live in.
Someone who drinks and drives recklessly or just plain drives recklessly doesn’t stop at the high water mark of a lake.
I for one hope this bill goes through.
It would make it safer for the rest of us on snowmobiles, ATV's and driving down the road if we get those who think they can drive recklessly off the road, or trails.
I truly believe that a large chunk of those boaters we see at the sandbars and rafting areas that are pounding down the drinks do in fact go to a marina or back to their cabin, cottage, condo, McMansion, etc.. Some do park at the marina and then drive home and they of course are a double threat.
I enjoy a drink as well as the next guy, but when I am out on the water, I may have one, maximum of two all day. Mostly it is water or soda (yeah, boring, I know!) because I care about the people on my boat and their safe return to the dock.
The drinking that goes on at West Alton or Braun Bay is enough to keep me away on the weekends, it is go early and leave early during the week.
But I must also agree with you that if this is their behavior on the water, what are they like on land in an auto. I too hope the bill passes.