View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 06:53 AM   #88
Commodore

Unhappy Weird logic repeated over and over.

My response to another very long, but edited, post by Evenstar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
To which I’ll ask: How many close calls have there been on winni? The problem is that no one keeps any record of close calls. It seems that you keep tabs on close calls. I’ve had more than my share on the lake. And I know other paddlers who have had close calls with powerboats on NH lakes.

How many times will you claim faster than their ability to see smaller, slower boats.

If all powerboat operators had more sense, we wouldn’t need this law. More sense or a sense that the Marine Patrol will catch them boating improperly?

It is my belief that a speed limit law will help reduce the unintentional violations. We know what you believe, we don't agree with you.

Other boats have intentionally violated my 150 foot zone. I actually pull one violator over with my kayak – much to the amusement of the MP that I reported the incident to. And you got bow numbers and the MP did what?

My point is that some high-speed powerboats (boats going over 45 mph) have unintentionally violated my 150 foot zone All together now, because they were going to fast to see me. You know this because of the look on their face. And I’m 99% sure that this was not intentional, because I had a very good look at their expression when they did finally notice me. We are not 99% sure.

The forum rules are something that all members agree to follow. I did not make up the rules – they are very clearly spelled out in the FAQ. I know what a personal attack is.

I did not lie. Read my posts again! I clearly explained the fact that the operator on Squam saw me. You know this because you read people's faces. You know what they think by their facial expression That is not the same thing as an unintentional violation! A violation is a violation.

My actual statement was (if you actually bothered to read all of it):

“I have had high-speed powerboats violate my 150 foot zone Once again, why do you think we need this speed limit because the operator didn’t notice me in time to give me that space that the law requires him to. Boater is violating a current law. No need to add another law. This has happened more than once and I am basing my belief that they didn’t see us on their reactions and on their expressions when they did finally notice us. There could be no other reason for the look on their faces?

This has happened when visibility on the lake was excellent – in the middle of a sunny summer day – even though our kayaks are very easy to see (bright red and bright yellow). Excellent visibility where you can spot a kayak a mile away but other boaters can not see you if they boat over 40 or 45 mph? This has also never happened on Squam, where there is a 40 mph speed limit. And we spend much more time paddling – especially on busy summer weekends. So speed is a factor here.” That is not a logical conclusion.

Well it is not my just opinion - it is clearly stated in the forum rules: “No "trolling" (trying to start arguments and upset people)!” I asked you to please not use a distorted version on my signature. Yet you continue to do so – even though you know that this upsets me. It upsets me the way you continue to say boats go faster than their ability to see. It upsets me to constantly hear the same irrational reasoning for this speed limit. Now you know it upsets me you will stop because That is trolling, according to the definition given in the forum rules. Look it up if you don’t believe me.
What I believe is that, unfortunately, you believe everything you say and you keep saying it over and over again.

Comments in red by The Commodore.