View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #58
codeman671

I gathered from the post that the boat had 6 hours on it, but did not see anything telling if this was the first day out on it. If so, I doubt HIGHLY that a drain plug would have been left out being that far from Thurstons although if loosely installed it could come loose (doubt it). The boat would have filled long before. The bellows would be a likely culprit. Hull failure could be a possibility, but I am still surprised that the boat went all the way down. I once had a hull fail catastrophically in a 21' Blue Fin center console at the mouth of Portsmouth Harbor. The complete hull (sealed since the boat was outboard powered) was full but it did not leak up into the cockpit until I opened a floor access to see what was going on. We got towed in and discovered a 4' split in the hull. I wish that I still had the pictures...

When is the boat being raised? I am sure that will be quite the process in the depths and darkness out there. I would think that it may not necessarily sink straight down, even if the spot was marked by GPS at the time of the sinking it may be a distance away.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote