View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 12:12 PM   #41
madrasahs

Default Big Boats: A Winnipesaukee "Cultural Impact" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
Hey Mad. this might actually be a good thing for you. The cycle of lakes in this part of the world is just the opposite of what's happened to you. Most have started out as nice clear water ponds/lakes and eventually fill in with organic matter to become bogs and finally firm soil. Have you ever thought that this is prolonging the life of winni? Something to think about. SS
Winnipesaukee is fortunate to be an oligotrophic lake. (It could "stay good" for years).

But abuses can "force" a good lake into a eutrophic lake -- a dying lake.

Here's what nhlakes.org says:

Quote:
There is no “Fountain of Youth” for our lakes. To help keep your lake from aging before its time, lower cultural impacts by:

Keeping shore areas naturally vegetated and shaded
Assuring that all soils are covered with growth such as groundcovers, shrubs and trees
Using proper fertilization near shore areas or better yet, no fertilizer. http://www.nhlakes.org/edbrochures/a...oryoflakes.htm
Here's another picture of that 50-year-old tree now that I've managed to turn the photo "upright". The roots have been exposed by giant wakes since 1985. It is not a mangrove tree, which holds its trunk above the water by growing atop "aerial" support roots.

Soil supported the tree for decades, but the soil is gone now and "eutrophying" the lake. (And making a very leaf-free maple in the process).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Gee Mad , in my book , I see it as the Lake is 4 feet bigger. The ol' glass is half full/half empty theory
It's also less transparent, shallower, sunnier, muddier, and more silted -- all the better to support milfoil.

"Half-full"?

Whatever floats your boat?
Attached Images

Last edited by madrasahs; 01-01-2005 at 07:20 AM.