View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
jrc

Depends on the situation. If you are trailering, I would keep the Sd240 for at least the first season. Then you can decide if you need something a little saltier. A lot depends on where and when you go out. If you stay in protected waters and avoid the worst weather, you can still keep your boat.

If you are going to leave your boat in the salt water, I would get something without outdrives. Your boat probably has a Mercury Bravo 3, they have huge corrosion issues. I would not keep that in a slip, but if you do make sure you have the right anodes and a working Mercathode device.

Finally if you want to have less worry about wind and water, get something self bailing. Most Searays and similar family bowriders boats are not self bailing. Water that comes in from waves and chop can not easily and quickly leave the boat. The water needs to be pumped out by the bilge pump, this is too slow and dangerous in really rough water. A boat aimed at fishing will have a deck above the water line and scuppers to allow water to self drain. Much safer in rough water.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote