View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
chipj29

Default Craziness at Hampton harbor!

I put my jet ski in the water at Hampton harbor today. Went up the coast a bit, then double back and went into Newburyport harbor. Talk about insane! We complain here about the Captain Boneheads on our big lake. But man they absolutely pale in comparison to the chaos going in and out of that harbor. Parts of the inlet to the harbor are no wake zones, but going that speed means risking your life, especially on a jet ski. In the non-no wake zones, watch out! There are some decent sized pleasure craft and fishing boats that put down impressive wakes. Of course these guys go maximum plowing speeds, practically swamping everything in there path. And if you see a whale watch boat coming...get ready...or get far away!!
Oh ya, the 150 foot rule does not exist there. At one point I was trying to go no wake speed, and on my left about 30 feet away there was a 25-ish ft boat, and on the other side of me was a 30+ foot boat. Both plowing massive wakes, which were converging pretty much right underneath me. I couldn't go anywhere because there was 2 more boats right in front of me! I couldn't believe how high the wakes were!
We got out of there, and I just looked at my buddy like holy crap, I feel fortunate to have made it out of there alive! Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!
Overall, we had a great day. Even that experience was fun in a way. So when you have a rough day on Winni, and see some 150 foot violations, go ahead and curse, cause it does suck. But just know that it is worse somewhere else!

Edited to clarify...Hampton harbor was relatively sane. It was Newburyport harbor that wasn't sane.

Last edited by chipj29; 08-19-2006 at 08:27 PM.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote