View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #75
parrothead

Default Bear Island Camps

A no wake zone near the camps will alleviate some issues, but not all. And I'm not 100% sure that it would make the directors anymore likely to send kids out on weekends. As I stated before one of the reasons that the boating programs were stopped on weekends, was because the kids didn't enjoy the activities due to congestion (ie too many wakes). Both camps are in a pretty busy part of the lake, and there is a lot of wave activity around both boating beaches (Lawrence and Noko). The Lawrence boating beach is actually pretty protected as it stands right now. Most boats go out around Dollar Island instead of in between. And if a NWZ was put in place that area would be the most logical. But the boats going out around Dollar still provide enough waves to make it pretty rough near the boating beach. Water skiing either in front of Noko or on the Mark Island side of Lawrence was not fun for the campers. They would stand up and then hold on for dear life as they bounce over waves. Where Lawrence skis is even somewhat protected because not many boats curl back towards Bear after they clear the markers in front of Mark. They instead continue on to go around the end of Bear. Those boats as well as the boats passing between Meredith Neck and Bear, heading by Cattle landing, make enough wakes to make it rough for skiing. The way I see it the only way to make it possible for kids to use the Lake 100% of the time is to limit Lake access. On weekends we only allow X number of boats to be moving on the lake at one time. Maybe there could be a deli number system? There is a VHF channel with someone calling numbers and everyone within a certain range of numbers can move and everyone else has to stop. :-) Just an idea