View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #187
MeredithMan

Default History of Lake Shore Park--MaryKay Cottage

I have found this entire thread to be very interesting and fascinating. The Lake has been an important part of my family's life, and it all began on Labor Day Weekend, 1973. We went away for the weekend and ended up at The MaryKay Cottage on the shores of LSP. I was just a 12 year old boy at the time, but it is probably one of the best childhood memories I have...playing ball in the water with my parents, a folk mass on Saturday evening in The Pavillion, and some older gent at the cottage next to The MaryKay who talked my father's ear off and began every sentence with, "Well anywho...."

The MaryKay was for sale at the time, I believe for $5,000.00. My parents were very tempted, but as I remember, you could only buy the cottage and not the land....not sure if that is accurate or not, but that is what I remember my parents saying. As a result, they didn't buy it, but eventually did find a place that brought them great joy the rest of their lives.

Now, as an adult with my own kids, the lake is our home-away-from-home and we owe it all to that weekend at LSP and the MaryKay cottage.

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote