View Single Post
Old 11-08-2023, 10:41 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

On a related subject, I'm thinking about replacing my otherwise-excellent Trinity III woodstove with a much larger wood-fired "cookstove". I've just been told they use more firewood, but my mid-teens "Down-East" experience with a monster cookstove is much different.

For weeks at a time, breakfasts around here need more than one cooking surface besides our 70-years-old electric range.
It all comes down to how you run the stove. Depending on the "CookStove", the wood load my be more than what you would put in the "woodstove".... and if your looking to keep the stove at a high temperature all the time, it likely would consume more wood.

However do you need to keep the unit at peak temperature all the time. Likely not, if you keep a bed of coals going, and stoke it when your cooking, it likely wouldn't be to bad...

I find that most people that talk about certain wood fired stoves being fuel hogs, really don't understand what metrics to look at. What they see is that the initial fire consume more wood, and that every time they stoke it they add more wood, then what they where used to. What you need to look at is that does it take to keep the stove running effectively and efficiently.... I have a Yotel Series 8.... when I decided to use it, the initially fire, and getting the coals built up takes 6-10 peices of wood.....once I have a nice bed of coals, if I add 2 or 3 pieces of wood, a couple of times a day things run along smooth for several days, until enough ash is build up that I need to clean things out.... If I could change one thing about my stove, it would be that it have way for ash to drop down into an ash box, so that the ash wouldn't build up as much.
Sponsored Links