View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 09:21 PM   #48
Woodsy

It seems to me most of those who complain about the NH system of taxation are out of state property owners. It really wasn't meant as a shot at them, more of an observation. As a NH resident I pay out less in property tax than I did just to the state of MA for income tax!

JRC... Good points!

WinniIslander... I agree with JRC. I don't think an income or sales tax is inherently fair. There are too many loopholes. If you can afford to own a the million dollar piece of waterfront as your second home, you can afford to pay the taxes on it!

ITD... I do have to somewhat disagree with you... The total dollar amount of taxes does have to increase a minimal percentage every year. This is due to the increase of costs borne by the municipality. For example, gasoline was big one this year. I know its a sore subject but municipal employees do get raises, schools etc... These and many other issues cause increases in the municipal budget every year. These increases are offset by increased property values. When property values increased alot, but the municipal budget did not, then you see a reduction in the tax rate. This is what occured in Laconia.

Laconia just voted in a tax cap tied to the Urban Price Index similar to the one in place in Franklin. Should make for some interesting city council meetings.

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote