View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Island Girl

Default Under 13 is my rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
Is there a rule-of-thumb regarding wind speeds on the lake when you would suggest not going out to the island? I've never correlated wind velocity with wave height before.....but it would be valuable info to understand now that we're islanders! Thanks again!
It would depend on the size and type of your boat, your experience and your location. You are about 1/4 mile from me. I tend to stay off the water when the wind is reported to be 13mph or greater. That may not be the actual wind. I just correlate what accuweather says to what the conditions look like and base my actions from there. I have a flaky shift so cannot react as fast as one could with more reliable mechanics.

Others go out in greater wind speeds with more capable boats. The problems include the big rolling waves that could crash over the bow of the boat if you are heading north, and the following sea throwing water over the transom if you are traveling south. Then there is the issue of landing the boat... with the wind pushing the stern sideways into the shore. If you are experienced this just takes your skill and judgement and usually some help to throw a line to the dock. Personally I think outboards are easier to land than I/Os. (just a gut feel here)

If you have a smallish bowrider, then you risk being swamped (been there) and that is very scary. If you have a pontoon boat... (eek!)

Once at the dock there is the issue of properly tying up. You need sturdy lines and cleats. No wimpy stuff for the broads side of Rattlesnake.

The wind pushes the boat away from the dock. When the lines get taught, then the boat slams back into the dock. You need something to keep that from happening. In medium to light winds, whips work well. If there are more violent winds then you need to tie both sides of the boat to something strong. Visit your neighbors for suggestions.

Tuesday looks the best for a camp opening!

We look forward to meeting you...

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post: