View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Skip and I had a looong discussion on this on another thread.

First of all, radar jammers emit a signal at a sepcified frequency to confused the radar/ladar. This is against FCC regulations and if you are caught it can bring heavy fines. That is why amatuer radio operators as well as commercial operators register with the FCC.

I use to work for a DOD electronics supplier that specializes in self protection jammers. Some of the engineers have made similar jammers for their personal vehicles. Rather the emit signal and send false readings to a radar/ladar, the system 'absorb' the signal and the result is no signal returning back to the detector. Stealth mode. LEO's will say 'no such thing' but I did have a discussion with a Nashua cop and a state trooper that they have witness this and thought it may have been the unit malfunction. I didn't mention to them the engineers have the ability.

If you google speed detection on water or boats, you will find many articles on this including shapes of the hull, fiberglas vs metal and wood, boat spray, movement and rocking of patrol boats etc. It is very difficult to detect boat speed. If a mpo fine you for going 5 mph over the speed limit, you can contest that in court. With all this facts you will no doubt get away with it. But if you are going say 20mph over the speed limit. It's a mute point.
1. Laser jammers = legal; radar jammers = illegal
2. I am "licensed by the FCC"
3. I am an engineer
4. Laser jamers and radar detectors work. You get what you pay for.
5. Any police officer who states they don't work does not know what they are talking about. Smart use of high end detection equipment sniffs radar (even instant on Ka band) with ease. Once they send a blast, they've blown there cover.
6. Owning a detector and/or laser jammer prevents getting tickets from overzealous police. In Maine I've seen them sit at toll booths and ticket people for not slowing at the 35 MPH speed sign which is 500-1000 ft away from the tolls. And how many people do you think they get? Whole 'nutter topic.

As for radar jammers, they can be built but the equipment to calibrate them is prohibitively expensive even ignoring any legal issues. Some other details you have to work through as to what frequency you want to jam. I'll bet 99.9999999999999% of officers have never seen a truly functional speed radar jammer. Lastly, in States like Virginia where radar detectors are illegal, the State Police have Spectre units that can actually detect your detector.

As for speed detection, laser jammers rely on linear paths which is why you have to spend the time to get them level. On a boat even if they are level, underway they won't be so I think they may be rendered useless. My real question is do laser jammers work on the water. It was stated that the PLIII is the laser gun used by NHMP.