Thread: Purple Lane?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Flex lanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
There seems to be reluctance to move them to the far left. I'm only guessing but I can think of two reasons:

Truck use EZ-Pass a lot and in general trucks are not allowed in the left lane. I heard this, but don't believe it.

The electronics and cameras are too hard to move. Remember the left lanes are the ones used in different directions depending on traffic conditions. So when they change the number of lanes, they would have to move the EZ-pass stuff. I thought all lanes supported EZ-Pass so this reason is suspect as well.
My guess is that the reason is a you state above. Pepper is correct in that you'd think the EZ Pass lanes should be to the left, but because these are the flexible use lanes it's not so clear as to what to do. I can't imagine that the receiver electronics care about direction but you would have to have 2 sets of cameras in the flex lanes to handle both directions, marginally a few more $$s to implement. I'll guess the real reason is because they don't want the majority of people (now EZ Pass I think) merging to the left only to find the expected "extra" lane isn't open at that time. Still I think this (EZ Pass to the left, including flex lanes) would be a lot less confusing that the present situation. It might even reduce the number of morons cutting across lanes though the ability of stupidity to triump over reason never ceases to amaze me.