View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #51
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
If you are new to the area, how does one go about in finding a quality home inspector? Most folks would ask the realtor.

That's what happen to my gf. After the inspection, I question why the wooden floor boards are curled up? The a$$hole inspector replied 'Because they laid the floor boards wrong!' I doubt that as finished floor boards can only be laid one way.

Come to find out, there were no plastic sheeting on the ground in the crawlspace under the floor and there was unsufficient foundation venting. The house was only a few years old and was built by a reputable builder. I also found out that the code inspector should have caught it.

Because there was a one year home owner warrantee on the house, an insurance company had to pretty much replace the foundation because of mold and mildew. A year later, my gf found mold and mildew growth around the walls. She sold the house. God only knows if the new owners ever found out.
You have a very good point. It is very hard if you are new to an area to hire anyone and be sure he/she will do a good job. People have different opinions too so it is a tough problem. I know I have heard some recommendations on here of people I would never recommend and also know some that have never been mentioned that are great. I guess all you can do is ask more than one business/person and after a while you find someone you are comfortable with. Still, no guarantee.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote