Thread: Braun Bay ???
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #18
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II View Post
There are 2 separate issues. The first is that Braun Bay is a no-rafting zone between the mooring balls and the shore. I couldn't see the balls in that picture, but I believe that you were all outside of the balls.

The other issue is one of rafting in general. A raft must be no more than 2 boats, and at least 50 feet from another raft. A single boat must be 50 feet from a raft, and 25 feet from another single boat. This applies anywhere on the New Hampshire waterways, whether in a no-rafting zone or not.

According to the regulations, the onus is on the approaching boat to maintain the required distance from other boats. However, when the MP arrives, how are they to know which boat arrived first? It is probably in your best interest to inform approaching boats of the rules. If they don't comply, it becomes your choice whether to leave or to stay and plead your case to MP when and if they arrive.
Actually there were some that were inside the balls AND I actually saw some people tie up to the balls.. As I said there are some people who ruin it for everyone but overall everyone was just trying to get on the sand to be able to walk around and meet people.

While I totally understand the regulation about the 25 / 50 ft distance, Could you imagine what would happen if people tried to actually keep others that far away on a holiday weekend in braun bay?? I think in theory it is the "right thing to do" but it isn't realistic.

Also, from a personal standpoint, after getting the family ready, shopping for food, preparing everything for a day in Braun Bay, loading up the boat, leaving early to get a good spot etc etc... I think my wife and passengers would be a bit upset with me if at 945am when the bay starts to fill up I say "sorry guys, that person is too close, we better leave" LOL... Just my 2 cents.. I don't think it is a realistic option.