View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
mneck1814

Default Standing Seam

I have a standing seam and it has been a great roof. They certainly are not cheap to install but you do save on the labor of tearing off the old roof if it is going over shingles.

Depending on the design of your house and where the snow will slide off, you will want to install the snow guards above entry doors or garage doors. They hold the snow on the roof over the doors so that it is not constantly sliding off in front of the doors. The snow that is held on melts in a few days once the rest of the roof is clear and can warm up.

If you do put it on over your shingles, the way the metal wraps around the shingles at the edge of the roof above the fascia creates just enough of an additional over hang that if you have 4" gutters you may need to upsize to 6". The water was shooting right over my gutters after I had the new roof put on - and my parents had to do the same a few years later when they had a standing seam put on.

We also have metal at camp which was replaced 20 years ago and still looks great. When we put the new roof on camp in 1998, it was replacing a metal roof that was installed in 1940! You just don't get that life out of shingles..
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote