View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #41
jrc

Default I really hate to get into this but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion
If anyone can tell me why a state sales tax (only) with only food, medicine, and clothing exempt is not the fairest approach to taxation, I'm all ears.
What about the Nashua, Manchester, Salem shopping corridor? If you put in a NH sales tax, all those stores will stop getting all those Mass. tax avoiders. Will you tell all the people you put out of work, that it's OK because now people won't have high property taxes on their lakefront homes?

Quote:
...with only food, medicine, and clothing exempt... Sales tax collects purely on disposable income.
Will real estate sales be exempt? If not you will push at lot of people out of the housing market.

Most economists say that a sales tax is regressive, the less you earn the higher your tax rate. Is that what we want in NH?

Quote:
If anyone can tell me why a state sales tax (only) ...
No local property taxes at all? So all tax revenue would be collected by the state. The state would then distribute the revenue to the cities and towns as they see fit. This moves a lot of governance from the people to state, is that what we want in NH?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote