View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
hazmatmedic

Default Propylene Glycol

Cryo-tek 100 is one brand that is out there which can be used on many systems, but always go by manufacture specs.

Anti-freeze does protect the water from freezing depending on the percentage in the system. The 2 downsides are, increased valve corrosion and increased fuel consumption. I certainly recommend gylcol for second homes but for a primary residence, I would lean towards straight water.

It really depends on your financial preference. If your boiler (boiler heats water, furnace heats air), shuts off for any reason, you would know because you live there and you could take the necessary precautions. You would be saving on fuel and part replacement. But if you don't mind spending a "little more" money for the protection, then have 50-75% glycol added to your system. For primary residence, I would recommend 50%, if using Cryo-Tek.
This would give you enough protection for most of the winter (below zero temps) but flow maybe reduced or even freeze with -30 temps (unlikely in house). This is important when the system comes back on, if your fluid is frozen, it cannot circulate and heat your house. It would protect from burst pipes but you would need someone to thaw the frozen sections out before your system could operate correctly. Again, not likely in lakes region with that much glycol.

Hope this helps.
hazmatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links