View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
feb

Default Thumbs Up to Winnisquam

I've had a place on Winnisquam for 15 years now and absolutely love it. I was born in Laconia so I was familiar with all of the lakes and chose Winnisquam for its quietness and somewhat "On Golden Pond" atmosphere.

Yes, the sandbar, noted above, is a nut house. In my 20's I loved that. In my 40's I love just watching it. If you're young and rowdy there is a place for you there. If you're any age and like to people watch there is plenty to look at. But its only 1 acre of the 4200 acres available.

I was surprised to read the comment on Winnipesaukee being cleaner. Maybe it is, haven't been "on" Winnipesaukee in years. But I do know on a sunny day, I can easily see 15' down from my raft to my anchor. Its by no means dirty or unclear like a pond.

In my opinion there are different "sections" of Winnisquam. In some locations the houses are spread out and it seems more relaxed. In others, they are right on top of each other, like oceanfront, and to me, seems less relaxing.

What you get is a quieter lake (weekends are still very busy). What you give up is the ability to do anything by boat (restaurants, arcades, site seeing). Its truly a compromise. I will say that after 15 years the lake is becoming a little small, I'm getting a little bored of boating around the same houses, going the same routes. But waking up with coffee and loons puts it back into perspective.

Watch out for the tax rates, they vary quite a bit among the different towns.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to feb For This Useful Post: