View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #45
Evenstar

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
Lastly, let's take your 70 mph on Rt 93 example. If I were to take a poll I wonder how many people (answering truthfully) would admit to doing more than 65, admit to doing 70 or more ? I'll opine it would be a majority. Now I'd ask how many believe than in doing such that they were endangering the lives and welfare of the fellow motorists (due to their speeding). I'll opine that nobody will believe they are. So are they ? As ong as they're actually paying attention to the task of driving, I'll agree and say no they aren't. If "we" are going to set a speed limit and call everything above that speed as being dangerous then it needs to be the right limit, the actually dangerous limit. So show me that 45 mph is more akin to 100+ on Rt93 and less akin to 55.

A poll of drivers who exceed the highway speed limit by 5mph isn’t the same as a poll to see if people are in favor of a boating speed limit.

Do a poll and see how many think that we should do away with a highway speed limit.

My maximum speed is 5 or 6 mph (which is actually fast for a kayak) – the proposed speed limit is 8 or 9 times that. Isn’t that enough of a difference? After all, the maximum speed on the Interstate is less than twice what the minimum speed is. So, if you’re going to compare boating speed limits with highway speed limits, we should be trying to pass a maximum speed of 10 mph on lakes.

45 mph is a compromise! Personally I’d rather see it less than that, but I can accept 45 mph. There’s just no way that everyone’s going to be happy with any number – some will always want lower – others will always want it higher.