View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 AM   #114
xredvette

Default Wee Hoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
About ten years ago it was still there and still named the "Wee Hoose". That was my first trip up to Lake Winnipesaukee back in 1946 or 1947. The Wee Hoose belonged to Jim and Millie Foster, Scottish immigrants from Andover MA, who also started with a tent platform I believe in the 1920's and then grew into a "cottage". Uncle Jim and Aunt Millie were my mom's aunt and uncle, therefore my great-aunt and great-uncle, and of course "Wee Hoose" is the Scottish dialect for wee house, small house, and small it was.

The Wee Hoose is still there and has been in my family for some time. My Grandfather, also a Scottish immigrant, owned it for many years and then my Dad purchased it from them about 30 years ago. Sad to say my Dad just passed away this past December and left the Wee Hoose to myself and 4 siblings. I'm the Voting Member and the holder of the deed.

I have so many fond memories of LSP and the Wee Hoose. Spending summers running on the dirt roads barefoot. Good friends, great times! Over the years my dad and I upgraded the ole Wee Hoose, insulating, adding on as the bylaws would allow, completely redoing the interior, adding indoor plumbing and a shower!!! It turned into a year round home for my dad although my family still refers to it as "the camp". My dad loved the Wee Hoose and treasured his time there. When he got older and could not stay by himself during the winter months he couldn't wait to get back to LSP and his Wee Hoose.

We are in the process of having a head stone made for him and the family is unanimous in having an image of the Wee Hoose with mountains and lake behind sandblasted into the stone. He loved that place so much it is a fitting tribute to what he would have wanted to be remembered for.

Thanks for letting me share....

Jim
xredvette is offline   Reply With Quote