View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #162
Rattlesnake Guy

Default In the interest of education

As this thread is taking a bit of a turn to big waves playing a potential starting role, I have a question.

We have a bow rider as well. Our place is close to where the boat went down. We have tremendous respect for how strong the waves can be when they come from the NW on this part of the lake. While on shore we love seeing the many faces of the lake and waves.

I have always avoided the 45 degree approach and taken the strategy of going straight into the waves with the bow up. My reduced speed and tilting the motor up a bit to keep my bow out of trouble. People and their weight behind the windshield. If I need to go in a direction other than straight into the big ones, I travel past and then travel with the waves and time my speed so I stay in the low or pressing against the uphill side of the wave in front.

We see a lot of waves where we are. I am not talking about those. I am talking about the 1 or 2 days per year when their is a 25mph wind creating the "rollers" from center harbor down to Alton bay.

As you can imagine, we see an awful lot of folks slowly making there way north on these days and it seems like heading straight up seems to be a common approach for the size of the lake waves and boats.

Yes, some days we abort the mission or wait until things calm down a bit.

What do you think?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote