View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #169
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

"Big Sandy II" had a diesel odor.

It docked on the Tuftonboro side and let off about 30 people. Those passengers may have something to do with the YMCA camp on Sandy Island, nearby. I recognized a "work-boat" from YMCA/Sandy Island that had preceeded them to the same dock.

At the waterfront, The Beatles were being playing loudly at 8-AM.

I'm not going to complain—ever again—about my own July neighboring rental-people. I'd already nick-named them, "The Clampetts".

Even using the PED (as best I could in the extreme chop), I couldn't persuade even half of the oncoming boats to give me enough room to clear the markers. One stood out: a Grady-White with a Mercury. The "driver" waved to me, while passing at about 60'. His wake was considerable, and I had to reduce sail to keep from submarining under it.

For my small vessel at 12:30-PM, the lake was very rough with wind and wakes cross-colliding. The wind had increased markedly, and wakes were large and indeterminate. That gave me an intense workout I'd like to forget. I managed to wave to a few considerate boaters—most of them in outboards.

The crux of the problem is that the channel has an inside curve: that's where boat-wakes are steep, which are the worst you can encounter.

Residents are densely situated, and getting hammered by nearly every mid-sized boat that goes by. (Even at reasonable speeds.)

As I turned to leave the area,—wouldn't you know it—a tuber passed me running straight-through the middle of the channel.

He gave me about 75'—and a wave!
So. You witnessed numerous safe passage violations, but nothing too serious, just not a measured 150'. The waves in that area are pretty well-documented, and you see them first hand.

You seem to be inclined to make outboard boats sound friendlier than others. I don't like those big camp boats that smell bad either. You also did not navigate properly to find the Whaler, I thought the exact location was pretty well described

The "curve". I know just what you mean. As boats turn at certain speeds, particularly larger ones with deeper Vees or semi displacement hulls, the wakes take on the high shape of a large white cap. If you happen to be inside this curve, the wakes approaching you seem to be double the size and height. This makes things even harder when you are out in windy conditions, probably not suitable for small craft. But your skills enabled you to make the journey, even while attempting to blind oncoming mariners with your PED. Did they actually cut off your access to clear the markers?

Question: How many boats slowed down to musher speed so their wakes became larger?