View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #163
winni83

Default APS -- Power Boat Excluder Device

Looks like the magnum size to me. See below. No complaints yet is not much of a justification. Perhaps you have been lucky. Some might not be tolerant of such acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Boy, does it ever.

What you need is a DIY "Powerboat Excluder" for sunny days.

The prototype modeled here has three disposable CDs attached to an old hat. However, just one CD in front is best, as it is really a powerful mirror used to reflect the sun.

While you could simply carry a CD on board, this model can be "aimed" by just moving your head: meanwhile, control of your boat can be maintained with both hands. The results are highly gratifying, and kayakers have commented favorably about it.

Some "previously-flashed" locals give my boat a wide berth; on the other hand, skippers who fail to notice the bright flash from my boat get my instant concern and attention.

Bass boats and Jet-Skis never seem to miss it—perhaps because they are always focused forward.

It's highly effective. Try one—you'll like it!

I was just reading that injuries from a jet drive can be severe. ("Ask an ER doctor".) 'Guess it'd be deadly if you got a snootful.

I've seen the NHMPs shoo "littler" kids on swim rafts closer to shore: with the remarkable increase in lakefront rentals in my locale, it's a much more common sight this year.

I was just reading of an Internet post where the Coast Guard fined a boater $250 reckless operation—for passing swimmers near a dive flag, ¼-mile off a beach—in the ocean!

Not as bad as the photo below: This little girl is riding on the swim platform!

Both ends of a boat should be of concern.