View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
This mechanic loves to fix things. I recently repaired my Bravo 3 with a rebuilt driveshaft housing that I got on craigslist for $495. Dealer would get $3000+ for the same repair. I also recently repaired a failed hydrostatic tractor transmission for $130 in parts. Dealer said it was not repairable and needed to be replaced for $600 + labor.
Having worked in the past as a tech I can easily explain to you why. First liability, second reliability of the repair.

I'll give you an example of both. When I first started as a tech it was not uncommon for us to rebuild just about any part you can reasonably tear apart. For example it was far less money to rebuild a brake caliper than replace one. Matter of fact at least on Toyota's you can still order rebuild kits for them. The difference is the dealer will NEVER rebuild them only replace. Not because it's difficult, but because some that were rebuilt by technicians who didn't care may have been ones that should have been replaced. It's a liability to the dealer to have techs do that. Additionally the expectation for any customer is that if serviced it will be fixed. Customers do not like bringing vehicles back over and over for the same problem. Also it does not reflect good on the tech ether, have enough "come backs" and you'll be looking for another job.

Finally some times is quicker, easier and in the long run cheaper to do an R&R (remove and replace) then to troubleshoot, rebuild and hope that the time spent in labor does not over take the cost of a brand new part.

I do agree however that today's techs are to dependent on having the onboard diags tell them exactly what the problem is. Many times the computer is not able to determine the problem based on the information it's observing and therefore can throw bogus codes. A well versed competent mechanic can come to a totally different conclusion based on what the symptoms are. With the expense of parts and labor you can't afford a tech that is throwing darts at a problem they don't fully understand, especially when the bill is being paid for by you the customer.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote