Thread: Oil Tank Gauge?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Reporting back to Forum......

Had oil dealer come to property after R.E.Closing. They were able to determine that the tank gauge was probably hitting the side of the tank, that's why it wasn't registering.

On another note, the furnace shut down about 6 times, during the first three days of home ownership ! This was during the coldest snap we had at the end of Jan., like 0-10 degrees. Of course when furnace shut down it was after mid-night each time. Ran fine during the day, go figure! Didn't get much sleep those first few nights... I was however, able to reset/restart the furnace each time, it shutdown. When furnace finally failed to start, I had to call the oil dealer. This was on a Sunday of course ! $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Anyway, oil dealer found the problem, 'bad burner motor', had a high point on wheel or cam, inside motor. I witnessed the issue as burner tech was able to create the problem.

Burner motor was replaced, had a complete furnace/burner tune-up, and everytings seems to be running like a top, at least for now.
Burner tech said the system looked like it hadn't been checked in years.....

Furnace(Weil-McClain)/Burner(Beckett) about 20 yrs old, so it may be on borrowed time ?

BD
I have had the same probs on the same furnace/burner set up. Mine is 13 years old. Have replaced the ignitor, and the motor as well. Pretty much a whole new burner. Yes it has been expensive, but the furnace is running better than it has in years.
I don't think you are running on borrowed time. Just typical maintenance items. The furnace itself should be good for another 20 years, but by then, there will be a newer much more efficient model out there.