View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
ThePlut

Default Depends on route

First, I would figure out how you are going to get to the lake, then find a slip in the nearest spot. On boating days, I don't mind driving the boat a little longer, to drive the car a little less.

We come up from Southern NH, closest route up north is 93. I've slipped in Alton Bay (at Parkers, and just on the other side of the bridge from Parkers) and in Meredith (rack storage one year, and now at Meredith Yacht Club).

IMHO, although Meredith is further away for us, it's more highway and takes almost exactly the same amount of time to get there from here as it did to get to Alton Bay. There are more amenities in Meredith (walking distance to more "stuff") so we hang around the slip longer in the evening for dinner and whatnot, whereas in Alton, we'd dock, get ice cream and head home. I don't have to fight for dock space at the town docks in Meredith, so that's another advantage.

Last few years there have been more than adequate slips available out there for rent, and with high gas prices, I bet the same will be true of this year so again, I would just figure out where the "shortest trip" to the lake is, and then find a slip near there. Or, decide where you want to be on the lake, and then find that slip...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote