View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #199
nhyitbos

Default Reply to Pelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
I agree with one previous writer that I would rather be charged to the demolishing of this building for $400k (that's the estitmate) than $2.1M for the old prison or 1.5M for the Baldi's other property, the Colonial Theatre. The city likes to spend money except where they achieve the most money, the Weirs.

But, without a valid court order to demolish the building we're all at a standstill. If the city were to bulldoze this property without the court's consent there's a good chance they'd have to pony up the funds to rebuild for the Baldis. So, $400k for the demo and then another million or more in damages - whoo wee. Do you really want the property re-built @ the city's expense?
And I respectfully disagree - ALL the properties in the Weirs are being hurt by this eyesore, not just the Lobster Pound.
And if my memory isn't completely shot - I don't think the city was ever going to buy the Baldi's downtown theatre.
And if I had the financial means, I'd love to buy the old prison property for $2.1 million - that's a steal - about $8,000 per acre. Beautiful views, prime farmland, great investment potential. Sell off the parts that aren't a hazard and use the funds to clean up the parts that are and you're left with a really nice piece of property.
The purpose of the petition is to expedite the court TO take down the building.. did you read the post? I never said that we should unilaterally demolish it. It's at a "standstill" because we haven't made an issue at the slowness of the courts. The courts ranking of the suit is the issue. Of course, a $1 turns to a million in value when seized. Second, the prison property for 2.1M would be off the tax rolls, therefore it would generate no property taxes. True, if you bought it then be on the tax rolls, so I hope an individual does purchase it and is able to sell it off in pieces. When has the city ever obtained a piece of property and sold it off in "pieces"? Excuse me, they have..the business park off of 106. However, has the initial investment of $400 ever been re-couped to date? No.
nhyitbos is offline   Reply With Quote