View Single Post
Old 10-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default That is not all that has changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
I must have missed something..or was late for class...what happened to the price of boats in the past decade?

Moving back to NH in a few months from 4+ years in FL. Getting a boat and getting back on Winni is one of our top 5 things to do. But looking at the price of new and used boats compared to when I last bought one...well I am astounded.

To clarify, I am 40 and have been boating since I was in diapers. I have owned many bowriders with my last purchase for a new one was in 1999 for an 18' Maxum with Trailder for $15,000. Sold & brokered it with Meredith Marine back in 07/08 for about $7000, when it was about 7-8 years old. This was the going retail rate for a boat back then.

So nothing special about the boat. Not top of the line, just a good mid range craft. So why are similar 18' models that are about 7-8 years old now selling for $15,000? Something new and comparable is well over $30k.

What lesson did I miss in not buying a boat in the past 6-7 years? It is almost as if I kepy my 1999 Maxum it would still be worth 6k today!
Yes, prices are substantially higher and the used boat market is very tight.

But, here is what else has changed: The lake is a lot busier and the wakes are substantial.

I would not feel comfortable in any boat under 24 feet in most areas of the lake. Yes there are some weekdays, and yes there are some areas, where 18 feet of boat will be just fine. But as a family all purpose boat bigger is better.

I know that is not why you wrote, but it is the first thing that I thought of when you mentioned an 18 foot boat.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote