Thread: Sailing
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #46
ApS

Cool They're Reflective, Effective...And FREE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
"...there is no question that the lake is saner this year..."
You weren't on the lake last Saturday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...According to my dad, Winni was crazy in the 70's and never got better..."
That's an understatement. I'm guessing that Cap'n Boneheads have a few things in common:
1) They are rentals, or
2) They are valet boaters, and
3) They have a "B" in their registration number. (Really!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
"...why does every sailing thread talk about racing...?"
C'mon, we're not racing greyhounds.

Quote:
"...Sailboats are pretty..."
They're pretty, but more importantly, they're quietthat's why sailboats are on those brochures!

Quote:
"...Sailboats have a visibilty problem? Do you know how silly that sounds...?
My catamaran had fancy sails and seemed to attract gawkers—as I wrote in 2004.

My present sail is nondescript, possibly accounting for how often I have a boat aiming directly at me—particularly on weekends.

Quote:
"...If you shine one of those in my eyes, I will head over to see why you are signalling distress..."
Nine out of ten times, the boat recognizes my distress and changes his direction to a safe course: I don't flash just anybody.

But...just last week in the Broads, a maroon-over-white Crownline continued his course directly at me in spite of my best efforts to warn him of his danger. As he passed (within about 80'), I saw that he was not at the helm (!) and was chatting with his passengers forward—in his bowrider!

(Registration # has a "B" in it).

The more "slow" boaters that put these free CDs to use, the more alert this lake's boaters will become.

Quote:
"...How exactly does it exclude powerboats...?
Those who have come to know which boat gives warnings by reflected sunlight alter their course long before any distress.

(That boat giving warnings?...would be mine )

Quote:
"...BTW a CD is not your best choice..."
I have a "first-surface" mirror that would be devastating in use: It's also expensive, and I'd hate to lose it overboard. However, blinding misguided boaters is hardly my goal.

CDs work for me: They're highly reflective, light in weight, free, can be selected for reflectivity, can be trimmed to size, and can attach easily to any baseball cap or golf visor. Instructions: Locate the reflection on your sail, tilt your head to align it with boom or deck, and a few flashes will do the job. It's no more offensive than the flash off a boat's windshield. Think of it as you might use a horn—responsibly—in traffic.

Lastly, when in sight of my residence, I can signal well ahead of my arrival, and lunch will be waiting!