View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #17
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Don't some states have a requirement that if you spend so many days as a resident in their state you are required to register your vehicle and obtain a driver's license? That would make it very difficult for anyone to try and claim NH residency that has a summer house in NH. Or would the State of NH be OK with the fact that you own property, vote, pay property taxes, and spend 1 day in NH? If that's the case NH your about to get a new citizen.

I'm sure that the State of Connecticut wouln't let me continue to live here without paying income taxes, but if did, I wonder if this excludes me from being a NH resident? I'm hoping there is way.
If you successfully register to vote in New Hampshire, then you are and have established NH as your primary residency. But remember, do not get caught voting in another State!

In New Hampshire the requirement to seek a NH Driver's license and register your car here begins with the date you establish residency. In the case of your license you have 60 days.

By the way, the registry references RSA 21:6 in their FAQ for guidance on determining residency.

But in the end it all comes down to common sense. Only you truly know where you actually call "home". Those that get caught get caught because of either greed or stupidity. Stupid in that they physically move and just never get around to getting their new license or registration. Greed in that they still partake of all the benefits of their old State, including voting, but use NH addresses to avoid income tax, vehicle registration tax or fees or to vote in multiple locations.

Luckily most people are honest and the actual cases of deceit ore few and far between.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote