View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
brk-lnt

We have the yellow "Paws Aboard" ladder also. I think I ordered it from Cabellas for just under $200 delivered.

IMO, it's OK, not great. The plastic is a little bit flimsy, I question how long it will hold up for. Setup is easy, but it does require a little bit of "assembly" to get all the supports and fasteners and whatnot in the right spots. It's not difficult by any means, but it does have that feel that one critical element could break at any time.

The benefit though is that my one "water dog" (we have 2 Boxers. One enjoys the water, the other would stay in the water forever chasing ducks if we let her) can board the boat on her own, since she jumps in at her own will when we are anchored. The ladder is a little bit steep, so older dogs might have a little trouble with it (our 7 year old Boxer needs an assist to get up the ladder on her own, it's frankly easier to just pick her up and set her on the swim platform).

And of course if you only have a single swim ladder and the Paws Aboard is attached to it, humans need to find an alternate way to get in and out of the boat. We just tilt the outdrive about 1/2 way up and use that to climb out.

Overall, I'd say it's probably worthwhile, as long as your dog can pull themselves up a little bit, and isn't too timid (the ladder moves with the waves and boat, so I can see how some dogs might not like that it's not "stable").