View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #26
ApS

Thumbs up This CAN be done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
"...Others may have another suggestion..."
To assist in removal, I'd suggest drilling completely through the bolt, then squirting WD-40® or CRC-5/6 corrosion inhibitor into the "unseen" end of the bolt.

I've recently used (and forgotten the name of ) a new product which is reputed to be much better than the above—and much reknowned around ocean environments.

Use a broken bolt extractor of top quality—one made in the USA plus a new "cobalt" drill bit. (I love spending other people's money —it's "The American-Way" ).

Start with a small centered hole, then drill to the size recommended for the extractor: generally speaking, the largest hole possible weakens the broken bolt for easier removal. You only get to do this once, and you don't want a cheap (but hardened-steel ) extractor broken off in the broken bolt!

If the bolt appears to resist removal with an extractor—and space allows—the hole can be drilled to a larger size than the original and a "threaded-insert" installed. This gets complicated when a broken extractor is in the center of the repair. Use of a "high heat" flame can help break down any "Lock-Tight" product that may have been used on the bolt previously.

There are other "tricks" in the case of a broken bolt, but first assume the bolt is rusted in place. Be patient with the rust dissolvers, maybe use each dissolver you can find—one after the other.

Good luck with this project.
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote