Thread: Lake Traditions
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #97
Waterbaby

Default New Lake Tradition

I've been "Laking It" for, well, more years than I admit to being alive , but just started what's going to be a tradition with my 11-year-old son....... Thursday I took him on a road trip to see the iced-in lake for the first time in his life. (He's only seen the Lake from ON it.) Picture it..... we're driving into Alton Bay, I told him to get ready and look -- he sees what he's used to being "blue" water, and tells me "Mom, something doesn't look right, it's a lot of white!" I went........ and explained that's how the Lake looks when frozen!!!!! We stopped by the Alton town docks, he saw men drilling in the ice and a plane land We continue on our way up toward Laconia, stopping at both scenic views. Continued up to Meredith, where he was fascinated by the BobHouse Village -- ya'll should have seen his face after I got him 15' onto the ice and said "when we get home you can tell Dad you walked on the Lake". YIKES! said his expression, as he froze in place -- he thought he was still on land! I saw a BobHouse (called "The Lodge") -- the generator was running and the padlock was not on the hasp, so I knocked on the door and introduced my son and myself and explained he had neither been on the ice nor seen a bobhouse before, and could my son see the inside? The gentleman inside was gracious enough to invite us in. In addition to all of that excitement, my son saw a plane taking off from the ice in Meredith, and several snowmobiles going onto the Lake from the Inn from Bay Point Inn(I think it's called), and he also spotted the WMUR camera atop the roof. All in all, a fabulous day for him and I! I loved being able to show him another "side" of Winni, and now he can't wait to go up at the end of March or beginning of April to see part of the "ice out" process......... another tradition to start!

Sorry to ramble on so, it was just such a precious day for us as the beginning of a new tradition, and I wish all of you many more traditions!