View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #23
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
54K in 18 months is a lot of miles, way more than average, way more than the guy who designed the car planned for, way more than the warranty was expecting. So the dealer knows this owner will use the car and test the warranty. There is nothing wrong high mileage or with the owner using the car, I'm just guessing how the dealer sees it.

Dealers for high end makers tend to make money on warranty work, dealers for bargain cars tend to lose money on the work. I'm just guessing but if Irwin was making money on the car, they would not be complaining.

Businesses are in business to make money, when they don't then you're on your own. Remember nothing is free, someone will be buying a new engine, you, Irwin or Hyundai. You have to convince them that buying you a new engine is their cheapest solution.
Sorry JRC, I guess we'll have to disagree about the high mileage, we used to have several company cars used by salesmen that would get at least 50k miles in a year, maintenance included oil changes, brakes and tires, we would run them about 4 years then get new ones. A new transmission and now a new engine is not a use problem but a manufacturing/design problem. A car doesn't care if you run up the miles in a year or 10 years, in fact some make the case where under use is worse for a machine than getting used regularly or even "heavily" used.

I also agree with the nothing is free comment, but the manufacturer gave, in fact boasts about a 10year/ 100,000 mile warranty that was probably built into the price, they should honor it.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote