View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #49
no-engine

Default What's the message here?

I have been legally driving for over 40 years. For a while, I'd use trail bikes (motorcycles, knobby tires & the works) on logging roads and similar places, and better believe that we used helmets! We did not use shin guards and such. However, also when we were on the conventional roads we maintained our helmets! Safety!
Then, better believe I had a bike as a kid, but I started bicycling with a hybrid bike; better believe I wear a helmet. I bike the paths beside railroad tracks, dirt roads and other not so frequented paved roads.

I remember when seat belts came in to being in cars and I started using them, even though not mandated; my mother started to follow idea. Why sit on them, so we used them!

I've been downhill skiing for over 50 years, and was so reckless back originally. Society started promoting helmets in ski schools and patrol people; I concluded and started wearing a helmet. I was standing on edge of a ski trail, and recklessly crashed in to about six years ago. If I was not wearing helmet, I would likely have severe head injury as my helmet hit my skis in the fall!
Even spring skiing, once I took one run w/o helmet, and I felt so uncomfortable, and went to my car to exchange baseball hat for helmet.

A good friend on his large motorcycle was traveling about 35mph, and a dog came out on road in front of him in a crash; he went over, and was seriously injured; without helmet, his injuries would have been far worse.

We take the appropriate life jackets & safety gear when we are out boating. Was taught safety and courtesy by my elders.

I started using earpiece while driving with mobile phone long ago, but will never initiate a call unless a necessity. It's very unfortunate that we see so many law enforcement people driving with phone to their ear! That's another thread!

Helmets and seat belts when installed! Use is a no brainer, literally. However, if one chooses to not use safety products, so be it. Where'd he/she learn common sense?
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote